Saturday, September 15, 2012

Mom Made Ballet Bag

My 3 1/2 years old daughter was starting dance classes today. Nothing too fancy, just a class for toddlers, but they still have to wear a uniform (pink leotard, white tights and white canvas dance shoes). I really wanted her to have a bag for all her dance gear; when I went to buy her shoes at a local dance shop, I saw some really cute dance bags, but I found them a little expensive. Inspired by an Angelina Ballerina: The Next Steps episode (Angelina and the Must-Have Ballet Bag), I decided to make one myself!

Ballet Bag - Front

The bag is a simple tube shape with a zipper opening along the top. I used some leftover material from a Yukata I cut years ago (but have yet to assemble) for the shell - in pink of course - added two stripes of pink ribbons (from my stash) around the tube's circumference just for decoration, used leftover woven nylon strap from my own Irish Dance dress bag for the handle, and added a store bought embroidered letter (her initial) to the front of the bag.

Ballet Bag -Side

For the pattern, I used desert plates to draw each ends of the tube (to which I added a seam allowance), and then cut a rectangle for the main body of the bag that was my circumference by the length of the zipper I was using (plus seam allowance).

Ballet Bag - Lining

In the scraps bin of my favourite Fabricville, I found a piece of black woven nylon with PVC coating (usually for exterior uses) that was more that big enough for my needs (big enough for 2-3 bags) for just 0.75$. I cut the same pieces out of that material and used it to line my bag.

Ballet Bag and its content

I wanted a bag that was not too big for my toddler, but in which I could fit all of her stuff: two leotards, two pairs of tights, one pair of dance slippers and an elastic to tie her hair. This way, I can put everything away in that bag and not go hunting for any of these items on Saturday mornings. I also think it is good to keep an extra set on hand, in case of little accidents (she is toilet trained, but at that age, excitement may lead to incidents, so it is best to be prepared). There is also room in the bag for a water cup and a snack.

Daughter's first dance class

And this was my daughter this morning, after her first dance class, proudly sporting her uniform and standing next to her bag. She was so happy!

And the best the best thing about that bag of hers: it is unique! (Just like her). No one can ever mistakenly think it is theirs.

No comments:

Post a Comment